Friday 2 October 2015

I was The Worst Dressed In Primary School- Fashion Designer Opens Up

Jide Olumide is a fashion designer who is known for his distinctive designs said he was tagged the worst dressed when he was in primary school but ended up a fashion designer.


11875304_516301438546006_1115519465_n

He went ahead to say he quit his job with a popular radio station to pursue his dream. In an interview with Chinenye Ugonna of Naij.com, Jide explains further how he has been able to progress gradually as a fashion designer.


Tell us more about yourself?


I was born on September 10,1988. I hail from Lagos state, Ikeja. I come from a family of four. I schooled in Port Hacourt. My primary school was Aladumo nursery and primary school , Bishop Crowther Memorial Secondary school and Madonna University. I brought up in Port Hacourt, Nigeria. Then I was posted to Abuja for my service . I started working there and I was being paid 10,000 naira at the end of the month . Was working from Sunday to Sunday . I got up one day and was fed up of my job so I decided to leave the job. I stayed home for a while without a job until a friend of mine called me and told me about his sister’s fashion house and spoke with her on my behalf. Then she employed me. I worked as one of her tailors. That’s how I ventured into the fashion scene.


Have you always had a passion for fashion?


Yes I have always had a passion for fashion. I have always loved everything that has to do with looking good so i decided to make it my life. Back in university I was known for my fashion sense that my friends named me “SWAG JAY”. The weird part is in primary school, I was the worst dressed in class and always very dirty.


Who are your mentors?


Well, my dad is my greatest fashion mentor. He is always looking good. I made sure I observed and learned every single thing from him. But it is sad that he is late now and will forever be remembered. May his soul rest in peace.


READ ALSO: The Evolution of Nigerian Fashion Since Independence


How do you describe your fashion sense?


I call my self chameleon when it comes to fashion. Sometimes i decide to go crazy, sometimes i don’t. I always make sure I look outstanding whenever I go for an event compared to the people around me. Looking good is a life style that should not be forced or copied. My love for fashion increases every single day.


What events have you showcased your outfits?


They are not so many because I am still upcoming. But so far so good, I recently showcased my outfits in Port harcourt at Aztech Arcum . I have also showcased them in a few events in Abuja. I hope to showcase more as time goes by.


What profession would you have ventured into if you were not a fashion designer?


I have always wanted to be a pilot since childhood. My Dad was an Aeronautic Engineer . So always wanted to be like him. I also wanted to be an actor and dancers.


What does JFK simply mean?


Its simply J for Jide (which is my first name ),F for Fresh and K for Kouture. It also means Join Forces with Kings.


What is your most embarrassing moment?


Very funny story actually. I went to see a friend in a fast food back some years back in Port Hacourt. I felt pressed and decided to go to the rest room to ease my self, only for her to follow me without my knowledge. She forced her self into the male rest room and tried to make out with me. Out of shock,I pushed her and ran out without even thinking twice .


How do you intend to maintain your relevance?


It has always been a gradual process and still it is . I just believe that God would take me to place I never dreamt off.


What do you think abut the fashion industry?


Well I think Fashion is growing and getting better by the day.



 


The post I was The Worst Dressed In Primary School- Fashion Designer Opens Up appeared first on Nigeria News today & Breaking news | Read on NAIJ.COM.



I was The Worst Dressed In Primary School- Fashion Designer Opens Up

No comments:

Post a Comment